Friday, May 1, 2020

Day 58--Birthday Galore!

   The day finally arrived! Annie's character really came out today.



   She and Sebastian begged for Annie's gifts first thing in the morning. "I don't have any gifts for her," I thought. But I said, "Okay, I'll give you just one."
   I had found my old Swiss Army knife last week and she had asked for a Swiss Army knife. So, this morning I got it out and gave it to her. She went wild. We went through every feature and had a big lesson in how to use it safely. She loved it, and Sebastian has begged all day that he can get one soon too (the answer is no).
   Then I broke out a stack of books that arrived for her. But two of them were not actual books, but CD audio books. How disappointing! Annie, however, was thrilled that she and Sebastian could listen to them together.
   Then I gave her the paints that Aunt Kimmy had given her--red paint, just like Annie had asked for. Aunt Kimmy rocks! Annie was thrilled.
   Then I gave Annie an anklet that I had saved since last summer. It was still in the box. Annie was overjoyed and put it on.
    Then I told her about the other gifts that have not come yet: a formal dress, a tea set, and 5 Derby hats that we can all wear to a tea party with her. She was so excited, and we agreed that we'd have a party as soon as they arrive--one for the ladies in our family, and another for her classmates, since there are, conveniently, 5 girls in her class. She was extremely excited.
   We then spend the entire rest of the day baking. We made pancakes, fried eggs and bacon for brunch; BBQ chicken, homemade baked beans, mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob. And most of all, cream puffs. We made dozens and dozens of cream puffs. We cooked down some strawberries and added them to the whipped cream, and put raspberries in each one. These cream puffs were wonderful! The family ate every last one.
   At Annie's request, we had a tea party picnic--my favorite part of the day. Annie also got to talk with her two best friends from TX, Isabel and Maria. She got to talk to Aunt Kimmy, PawPaw Ronnie, Jane and PawPaw Rombs.
    The kids did a scavenger hunt and then played musical chairs. It was actually funny to see them all get competitive.
   Over and over, Annie said, "This is the best day ever--Mom, thanks for all you are doing to make this day so special!" I was incredibly touched by her. Not a HINT of disappointment, self-pity, or negativity. She was truly elated the whole day. I am so grateful for such a beautiful daughter, inside and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment