Friday, May 1, 2020

Day 56--Class at the Angelicum

     Reading Aquinas is always a shock. Even after all these years, I always assume he will approach a subject with dogmatic rigor as the hammerhead of orthodoxy. Over and over again, I am surprised by him.
    I was surprised 25 years ago when studying his philosophy, how open he was to competing views, and how he synthesized rather than judged or condemned.
    I was surprised 5 years ago when I was teaching epistemology, how his view was so much more brilliant and insightful than anyone else's--by a mile. I don't know if anyone has done much better, honestly.
    I am surprised now by his theology of the Eucharist. One group is ultra-realist about Christ being present in the Eucharist. Another guy reacts and errs in the opposite direction. Aquinas responds to that guy by just being better than he is at responding to the ultra-realists. Now that's a smart approach.  HIs view of the Eucharist is so much more gentle, contemplative, and comprehensive than his opponents. He never ceases to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment