Wednesday, February 10, 2021

A Wonderful Mom



 My mom is wonderful! On the occasion of her birthday, I am reminded of so many happy memories: 

  • Rollerskating and having picnics in Central Park
  • Eating at a Jewish diner near our apartment and ordering blueberry blitzes
  • Walking through the Metropolitan Museum of Art with her and looking at mother/daughter images
  • Going to ballets, plays and operas together 
  • Both of us thinking spinach pie is about the best food on earth
  • Her teaching me how to write essays, using her skill as a previously-employed english teacher
  • Her teaching me about Hegel and other thinkers
  • Her taking me to Mexico, Ireland, and on a college tour when I was a teenager
  • Her baking us cakes and always having them around (vanilla cakes with chocolate chips that tended to sink to the bottom)
  • Her parenting style of never raising her voice and trying so hard to be a safe person for us

She did all this and more as a single mom for many years! Rather incredible achievement. 

Thank you, Mom! I love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment