Friday, April 17, 2020

Day 44--Bug Hunt

    I'm not sure where I got the energy or drive to do this. The entire time I thought to myself, "In 20 years of being a mother, I have not had the energy or attention for something like this. What is wrong with me?"
    Wherever the inspiration came from, I suggested I take Sebastian and Annie on a bug hunt. Sebastian has been "bugging me" to read him his book on bugs every day. It is almost 50 pages long. I get the full creep-out experience every single time we read about cockroaches, bed mites and jungle scorpions. I hate that book. But it is our daily routine.
    Yet as we read, he astounds me. He tells me verbatim what various sections say, even though he cannot read. He has memorized a large percentage of this book. He even knows what pages the various descriptions are. At one point he told me there was a bug that was a machine. I said there were no bugs that were machines. He said, "Look!" and he turned right to the picture of a queen termite, under which it is written, "The queen termite is an egg-laying machine."
     Today I had been getting nervous that some of our kids are not getting a good education. I remembered homeschooling Jacob and Mary long before the others were even alive. The whole idea was to light their imagination, get them truly interested in something. Today as I was washing dishes and thinking about buying "The Well-Trained Mind" online, Sebastian asked me to read him his bug book again. I realized, "This is it! This is what he is interested in!" And so we went out, including Annie since she is not able to be left out of anything interesting. She recorded all our data. We captured 4 black ants, one red-and-black bug (a real name!), an arachnid or some sort, and a white moth. We almost got a fuzzy brown spider but it got away. A little "Jacob" and "Mary" coming down the pike!





No comments:

Post a Comment