Sunday, June 4, 2023

A Gift for me from Ron

 I am soooo grateful for this gift from Ron! It's the Hebrew Bible translated into English. Why is that so important to me, a Christian? 

In my studies at the Angelicum, I have become keenly aware that the translators of all standard editions of the Bible sanitize the original Hebrew. If the Hebrew includes foul language, the Vulgate, the Septuagint, and the modern language translations all do things to clean it up. But then you lose so much of the original, and you miss nuances and even whole major points of God's revelation to humanity. 

It is the first translation to be written all by one person (rather than a committee) since the Renaissance! Apparently this translation made a big splash when it came out in 2018. 

While I hope to learn Hebrew soon, this three-volume set will tide me over. 

Then I'll ask for Ron to get me the Old Testament in Hebrew. . . that'll be another, very exciting day!

 https://www.amazon.com/Hebrew-Bible-Translation-Commentary-Three/dp/0393292495/ref=sr_1_1?crid=326MRCHS8S3QC&keywords=robert+alter+hebrew+bible&qid=1685897322&sprefix=robert+al%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment