Friday, June 5, 2020

Celebration in Rome

Ron whisked me into Rome after my exam. It was such a delight! We had a wonderful meal at the Piazza Navona.


     Then we walked all around, and made our way to the Basilica of Saint Clement. During my exam, I had spoken of St. Ignatius of Antioch. My professor mentioned at the end that St. Ignatius has relics in San Clemente. So Ron and I went there. It was much, much more beautiful than I had imagined. The "new" church was built in 1099! The mosaics were created when St. Anselm was alive (or something like that). That church is on top of a 4th century church. And that one is on top of a pagan temple. Incredible!
    I got down on my knees for Catholic mothers, whom I think are so much like St. Ignatius. Ignatius said in the face of being thrown to the lions in the Colosseum: "I am the wheat of the Lord. I will be ground in the teeth of the beasts and become Christ's pure bread." I think of mothers, especially open to life mothers. They get "ground up" like wheat every day, becoming nourishment for their little (and big) people. It is a lifestyle that lends itself to a Christ-like, Eucharistic way of life.



No comments:

Post a Comment