Wednesday, December 10, 2014

spiritual goal for the year

    Every year, I choose one thing that I need to work on, and make it my goal for the year.  The year is the liturgical year, which begins with Advent.  So, two weeks ago I began my new year, pursuing my new spiritual goal: joyful trust.
     Trust in God is hard for me.  I like to see the blueprints, the road map.  I don't currently see where my life is headed--will my book ever get published?  Will it be well received?  What impact will that have on my life?  What will my family life be like in a few years?  What needs to happen for me to feel like my life is a success?  Some days these questions are just so hard for me.
     So I am happily taking on "trust" as my year's goal.  But even that word sounds gloomy to me.  It sounds macabre, like I am walking through the valley of the shadow of death!  So, I have renamed my goal, "Joyful trust."  I am seeking the kind of trust that my children have.  They are happy, knowing that things will basically turn out well for them, because Ron and I are working so hard to ensure their happiness, safety, and personal fulfillment.
    I, too, want to have a childlike, joyful trust that my Father has a GREAT plan for me, whether the fulness of it be experienced here or in heaven.  I want to joyfully embrace what life brings, knowing that it all works to the fulfillment of God's purpose (Rom. 8:28).
    What I want more than anything is to be a "saint": not a canonized saint, but what the Bible means when it talks about the "saints."  I want to be one of the people of God, whose whole life is reborn and renewed and is living in the Spirit of God.  I want every aspect of my life and heart to be sanctified, and I want to be totally purified of all that is evil, ugly and sinful.  I want to shine in the world, shedding the light of Christ wherever I go.  I want my small, maternal actions to be big, holy work that makes a difference in the kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment