Monday, April 2, 2012

A Great Mission Statement

     A friend of mine told me her personal mission statement: "To affirm all that is good in the people around her."
     Now, it is true, I am prone to "mission statement envy."  It is hard for me to hear other people's wonderful mission statements and not wonder if I should take on theirs.  
     In fact, without changing mine, I have indeed been deeply affected by witnessing other people live out theirs.  Kim's is one of my favorites.  Oh, and Leah's I love.
    This one is no exception.  I just love it.  It is natural to "size people up," and consider who they are, what choices they are making, whether they are doing well, etc.  But it is such a delightful practice intentionally to END one's "sizing up" process with the GOOD.  Just look at what is worthy of affirmation, and make a conscious choice to stop there!  Now THAT is freeing.
     "Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." (Phil. 4:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment