Monday, February 28, 2011

hibernation

     In homeschool today, we read about the hibernation of bears.
     Maybe that is why my kids are absent-minded to a ludicrous degree these days--maybe they are in a wintry hibernation brain state.  Broken glass ever day; CHRONIC but innocent disobedience or lack of follow-through; failure to get through any given math problem if it has more than one step; lots of blank stares.  Maybe my homeschool is failing.  Maybe they are going to be ruined for life--if they do not complete the grade they are in well, then that will have a domino effect through their whole lives.  Maybe I should look into other schools.  Maybe they should be punished more.  Maybe I am a horrible mother.  Or maybe they are horrible children.
     All of this was put to rest when I read about the hibernating bears.  "Thank goodness!  An explanation!"
     I suggested this, with great relief, to my kids.
     Mary looked up and said, "But Mom, we're not bears."

1 comment:

  1. How I love this post! I think every mother asks herself those questions at least once a day. I know I do.

    ReplyDelete