Sunday, October 9, 2022

Learning to Pray

Recently I was wondering how to pray. I've been praying all my life and I still feel like I don't know how. When I read sentences like, "St. Joseph was a man of prayer" I realize I am not yet where I want to be. Is prayer what defines me? I deeply wish it were. But I feel like I just don't know how. 

I thought, "I'll try to find a spiritual director." 

Then I thought, "I'll find a really prayerful person and ask them." 

Then I wished I were a monk at Christ in the Desert since the monks there have set prayer times for communal prayer. 

Then I remembered that they chant the Psalms. 

Finally I thought: "I have the Psalms, right in front of me!" My Bible was already in my lap. I have a divinely-inspired prayer book under my nose already in my possession. I opened my Bible to the Psalms and asked God to teach me to pray. I started reading Psalm 1 very slowly. I read it several times, imbibing each word. I felt fear and anxiety melt off my soul, and a fresh spring of healing water flow from within my heart. I did not want that moment to ever end. I sensed God so close. He spoke to my inner self as clear as day. 

Time barreled on inconsiderately: kids burst in the room, the sun rose, and a cock literally crowed (our neighbors have chickens). I had to tell the Lord I would see Him tomorrow. I'd meet Him again in the Psalms. 

And I did. 

Lord, please teach me to pray and make me "a woman of prayer."

No comments:

Post a Comment