Sunday, October 7, 2018

It Feels Like a Dream

   In the car, Clare was chattering away about the Confirmation retreat she just attended all weekend.  My other kids were laughing, probing, joking, and pelting her with questions about her 2 nights away with the youth group.
   We were driving through my grandmother's wonderful old neighborhood, and we passed all the places most memorable to me: my favorite Mexican food restaurant, my favorite shopping areas, the flavored popcorn shop, and the smoothie bar.  Those streets were the ones on which I learned to drive when I was sixteen.  The stoplights, the turn lanes, the curbs, the pavement are all so familiar.  There is no place in the world that is more like "home" to me than that little corner of the earth.
    As we drove, Clare's stories warmed my heart.  I thought, "I never could have imagined this.  When I was a teenager, I could not have begun to picture myself driving my own teenager and a bunch of other kids on these same roads.  It all happened so fast.  I am so grateful that I have been so blessed by my family.  It feels like a dream."

No comments:

Post a Comment