Friday, August 31, 2018

My clip on the 5 o'clock news

     I was finishing our homeschool day, while a very old man from a fridge repair company was replacing our coil and condenser in the kitchen.  The phone rang.  It was a reporter from NBC5.  "Are you the Dr. Kathryn Rombs who signed the petition regarding the pope?"
   "Yes I am," I replied.
   "Can I come over and interview you?"
    Nicole was in our house 15 minutes later with Chris, the videographer.  Here is the clip:
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Dallas-Bishop-492163571.html

    What a day!  As NBC was finishing up, our photographers came in and began their set up.  I had hired a photographer to shoot Jolly and me, as we are about to launch our website, "Mighty Is Her Call," whose aim is to raise awareness of the genius of open to life Catholic Motherhood and encourage mothers as they give the gift of themselves.  So, as one crew wrapped up, the other began! All sorts of head shots, family shots, and portraits were taken in various arrangements.
    Then, Ron laughed and said, "Guess who is on his way?  J.J. with a bunch of nuns!"  J.J. Sanford, our friend, our dean, and our very favorite UD administrator brought three Nashville Dominican Sisters to our house to pay us a quick visit.  Can you believe it?  It was absolutely lovely and truly, the strangest day I've had in a long time.  I stood in our entry way explaining almost apologetically that I had signed this petition, with the name of UD as my workplace, and it having gone viral around the world, without even mentioning it to him.  It had all just happened so fast, and I had no idea the the petition would get so much attention.
    The photographers packed up and left, and then the sisters and J.J. made their goodbyes.   As the poor old refrigerator repair man packed up his tool kit and ripped the receipt out of his booklet and handed it to Ron, he said, "I am in other people's houses every single day.  It is what I do.  I am an old man, and I have seen a lot.  But I have never seen anything like this."

No comments:

Post a Comment