Friday, July 14, 2017

The Suffering Servant


My favorite painting in the Uffizzi in Florence is this Suffering Servant by Sano di Pietro: 




    I have not yet found the words as to why the Suffering Servant means so much to me.  True, it is a balm to have the Son of God draw close when we suffer.  His companionship and empathy are a blessing, especially to those who experience life's hurts.  Beyond that, I am trying to put into words my wonder and awe that a divine image could ever look like this.  The Son of God being humiliated?  Tortured?  And that being a gift?  Redemptive?  I just do not have a way to express how counter-intuitive this is to me.  
    Even more shocking to me is that some humans--animalistic beings who have struggled so intensely for survival over these hundreds of thousands of years--would find meaning or inspiration in anyone's weakness or loss.   

No comments:

Post a Comment