Thursday, May 14, 2015

Serving the Chosen Ones

     For me, it is easy to be in touch with God's calling for all of us Christians when I am living a day as a homeschooling mother of six.  The daily routine is so grueling, so exhausting, and yet so rich and glorious, that, to my mind, it has obvious resemblance to the death and resurrection of Christ.  From my "death to self" comes new life (in faith, behavior, virtue, and education) for my children and for my family as a whole.
     But when I engage in other activities for which I am trained--teaching at the university, writing a book--where is my identity as a follower of Christ and a daughter of the Father?
     Paul writes to the Ephesians: "He gave some as apostles, others as prophets, others as evangelists, others as pastors and teachers, to equip the holy ones for the work of ministry, for the building up the body of Christ," (4:10).
      God calls some of us to teach, to pastor and to evangelize in order that the holy ones can do their ministry!  "The holy ones" are the ones who are not teachers or pastors.  They are the faithful.  And their work, their calling, is the most important.  Those who teach and preach are servants to the faithful.  The faithful are the ones who have the true calling to do the work of God.
     So, as a teacher, what is my identity in Christ?  It is as a servant to the body of Christ.  It is in imitating Christ in the washing of the feet.  It is preparing, fueling, cleansing, and readying the Chosen Ones to do their work of bringing the Gospel to their family, friends, co-workers and all home they meet and for whom they labor and pray.
     Thank you, Jesus, for your example.  Thank you for your witness.  Please anoint me with your divine humility and build my identity in You and only You.

No comments:

Post a Comment