Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Cross as the Axis of the World

     In my prayers this morning, I was absorbed in love for Jesus, and telling Him all the things I love about Him the most.
     I was thinking of Him as a man, the "God-man," but truly, as a person like you or like me.  Then I recalled a text from John Behr, who wrote a truly profound book, The Mystery of Christ.  He described the Cross of Christ as the axis of the world: the central reality of all that exists, and that upon which all that exists depends.
    I suddenly throughout: "Oh my goodness!  You, Lord, are so much more than I realize!  You are so much grander than I naturally imagine!"
    It is (by definition) hard to grasp an infinite God!
    "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are my ways your ways, says the Lord.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts higher than your thoughts," (Isaiah 55:8-9).

     It is all the more miraculous, then, to feel the personal and loving embrace of God.  He is so simple and approachable, in all His infinite glory!  I could just sit and think about that ALL DAY LONG.  

No comments:

Post a Comment