Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Who is Jesus?

     If someone were unaware of who Jesus is, how would you explain him?  Worse yet, if someone falsely believed that Jesus is an insipid, unimpressive figure, the opium of the people, the crutch of the weak, or still worse, the god of a religion that is foreign and simply cannot belong to them--what would you say?
     My response would be: come to him first, find his love.  Let him lavish you with his affection.  Let him supply all your needs, pour his peace into your heart, fill you with divine joy, no matter your outward circumstances.  His love is an infinite love, his peace is a perfect peace, his joy is constant, regardless of outward pains.  Call his name, let him dwell with you.  Later, you can learn more about who he is.
     But how do you let him dwell with you?  I have known some who say that they cry out for him, and cannot find him.  I believe that the way to find him is to surrender to him.  It takes at least one, real, genuine act of humility--the act of saying, "I no longer want to be in charge of my life, I want you to be in charge of my life."  People cry out to him, but still wanting to maintain control.  Essentially, they are asking for "a butler" or "a service care provider."  They want their needs met, but do not want to yield control to him, they do not want to have to change their ways or give up their lifestyle.
     Finding Jesus is about surrendering our tiny, fleeting, passing lives to the infinite, eternal, almighty God who humbled himself by coming to be with us.  When he came to be with us, he did not come in might, prominence or wealth.  He showed his true character when he chose to come as a poor, simple man, born in poverty and as a foreigner.  He disclosed his true heart when he washed the feet of his followers.  He revealed his true strength when, letting himself be betrayed, he gave thanks.  When falsely accused, he remained silent.  When brought to an unjust death, he surrendered himself out of love.  These actions are the height of human achievement, and take godlike strength.  What leader acts like a servant?  Who can submit to an unfair accusation?  Or worse yet, give up one's life out of love for others?   Given who Jesus was--the king of the universe, without any fault or wrongdoing, the author of life--these actions were all the more outrageous, all the more absurd.  In doing these things, Jesus revealed the infinite power of the love of God.
    This is a man who was, indeed, "obsessed with love."  His death means that we are free, we are reedy to be healed, we are ready to be heirs of the majesty of God.
     "Sing joyfully, O Israel!  Be glad and exult with all your heart, O daughter of Jerusalem!  The Lord has removed the judgment against you, he has turned away your enemies;  the King of Israel, the Lord, is in your midst, you have no further misfortune to fear.  The Lord, your God, is in your midst, a mighty savior; He will rejoice over you with gladness, and renew you in his love, he will sing joyfully because of you," (Zeph. 3:14-18).
     Jesus is the one who is ready to renew you.  He is ready to fill you with joy--one of the marks of true Christians.  To find him, one need only say: "Jesus, come to me.  I need you.  I have done wrong, I have hurt others and myself.  I need you to be in charge of my life--I surrender my life to you.  Live in me, dwell in me, and I desire to dwell in you."  Then Jesus comes, the perfect spouse: he comes to reside in you, and you reside in him.  It is a perfect communion, an intermingling of the spirit that is infinitely satisfying, powerful, and stable.  As life brings circumstances that are challenging, painful or frightening, we can say with Paul: "I am content in all circumstances."

1 comment: