Sunday, September 25, 2011

strategy of patience

     Mom and Harville gave Jake a movie for his birthday, PAUL VI.  I watched it twice.  It is the best movie I have seen in a long time.
     One of the best lines is in a conversation in which the young Karol Wojtyla approaches the current pope, Paul VI.  They are at the second Vatican Council.  Karol asks, "I would like any advise you have for me; I am dealing with the communists in Poland.  You have dealt with both communists and facists.  What should I do?"  Paul VI replies, "The best advise I have to offer is: the best strategy is the strategy of patience.  And never be afraid to dialogue--no matter what."
     That was so encouraging to me to hear.  Patience through a trial, with ample doses of dialogue (even if the issue is still unresolved, even if the problem is not totally repaired), is sometimes the highest path.
     In my immaturity, I see in myself that I want what I want when I want it.  The mature version of that is PATIENCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment