Friday, July 29, 2011

Martha's Feast Day

     Today we celebrated the feast of Martha of Bethany.  I got this idea from Treasure Chest of Traditions for Catholic Families by Monica McConkey. 
Since Martha is the patron of cooking, the book suggests that the non-cooks prepare a meal for the cooks in the family!  
So we started the day with telling/reading the 2 Bible stories of St. Martha and discussing them.  (My kids all picked up on her bold personality, and how she was always telling Jesus what he should be doing!  They liked her spunk).  We discussed how his greatest miracle of raising Lazarus from the dead was upon her faith: "Jesus, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."  Sheer faith!  But we also discussed how awesome it was in the cooking episode how she was corrected by Jesus, and learned.  She is a saint in part because she was teachable.  My kids (and I!) perked up at this idea of being able to be a saint even if you've been wrong. 

Then I told them that in honor of the patron of cooking, they get to cook me a meal!  "Prepare it, set the table, and I'll be your guest.  Then you get to clean it up." 
They were THRILLED.  They got out their aprons and have been cooking since 8 am!  They made Jello and salad and Ezekiel toast with toppings.  Water and napkins at every seat.  

It was the most delicious salad I have ever eaten.  I was crying as I was eating it.  It was so special!!  The kids were just delighted, and so proud. 

(But their clean up job left something to be desired. . . .!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment