Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Becoming Firm of Spirit

     When other people's feelings, moods, judgements and opinions impose themselves on me, and I falter in maintaining my OWN feelings, mood, thoughts and opinions, I go to Psalm 16.  I love every word of it, but my favorite lines are:
     "The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.  The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; I have a good inheritance."
     I think of God establishing my identity, self, mind, heart and life.  He sets the boundary lines--no one else does.
     Then, He fills it with good things, most especially Himself.  As Mother Theresa of Calcutta said: "Jesus is my All in All."  He alone is sufficient for me: "My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness," (2 Cor. 12:9).  No matter what other people do or do not do, my cup is running over, my portion is large, because God is goodness overflowing.  That is inheritance enough for anyone!
     The final part of my prayer over Psalm 16 is to think of how God made me.  I make an impromptu list of my favorite things.  For example:

I love bulbs.
I love roses.
I love the beach.
I love coffee with a friend.
I love Annie's smile.

The list can go on and on and it changes every time I do it.
     I read and reread my list, and my feelings catch up with who I am, what is within my boundary lines, and who God made me.  My feelings catch up with God being the generous giver of these things, and I become grateful.  Then, with my emotions and mind realigned, I am a much more prayerful and happy person!    

No comments:

Post a Comment