Sunday, April 3, 2011

happy happy joy joy

     Isn't it hard not to take on other people's burdens?  I love my husband so much--more than life itself.  He is grieving his Mom's terminal illness.  I feel for him so much.  How exactly does God want me to feel for him, though?  There are bad alternatives everywhere I look.  There is is enmeshment on one hand, and indifference on the other.  How do I get it right?  What is compassion that doesn't lose its footing?
     Ron and I have discussed it.  He says that inside, he is pretty firm, and other people stay on the periphery for him.  But, he says, I seem to collapse easily for others.  So if I am happy but then someone close to me becomes upset, I am soon no longer happy as I feel for them.  Ron has encouraged me to "firm up" on the inside.  "What is so firm on the inside?"  I ask him.  "What does God want to see in my center, so that I keep my footing around others?"  Ron said he did not know.  
     It was that question that led me to the thought: God has made all of us royalty through our baptism and through becoming part of His family.  We are all little queens, princesses, and princes ( Peter 2:9).  Through our life as Christians, we are to imitate Christ as "priest, prophet and king."  Finally I had some sense of God's desire for me: I am to be His little queen!  
     Somehow, that idea just filled me right up to the brim.  I have been SO STEADY in the past days and even weeks, since this insight.  Ron is sort of amazed, as he has seen me withstand some storms that I was not withstanding just weeks ago.  I think of it as giving me a deep, deep keel.  I am steady through the storm--by the grace of God!    

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Kathryn.
    Thinking of His other little queen St Therese, I just read this in the book, I Believe in Love......
    "The fruit of this peace is supernatural calm. The Devil fishes in troubled waters. Whoever lets himself be troubled does not see clearly anymore, stumbles, falls into a panic, and ceases to judge rightly. We can be shaken, very upset, as long as it is only on the surface, but the depths of our souls must remain tranquil as the depths of the ocean, even during the greatest storms."
    Love you and praying for you all! God Bless you in this storm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all his little queens!
    I just ordered that book! Can't wait to read it!! What a GREAT quote.

    ReplyDelete